Saturday, March 5, 2011

Prayer Flags


I picked up some pretty haggard looking prayer flags a little bit ago from a dumpster. They were pretty worn, but I felt like I couldn't just leave them there. So, I washed them a bit and now they are hung across my room.

I've done a little bit of research on them as well. Apparently, the traditional flags come in sets of five, with each color symbolizing a different element. "Blue symbolizes sky/space, white symbolizes air/wind, red symbolizes fire, green symbolizes water, and yellow symbolizes earth. According to traditional Tibetan medicine, health and harmony are produced through the balance of the five elements."

1 comment:

  1. What I've always been taught is that you're not supposed to take them down till the wind has ripped them to bits and they come apart and fall on their own, that's when all they prayers have finally run out. So yeah, rather odd to find a string of them in a dumpster!

    ReplyDelete