Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hiking On the Coast



Like I said, I took a pleasant hike through the forest the other day while in Mendocino. What did I find? Well, here are some beautifully red orange colored lichens right on the coast, and then when I went a little deeper I found this baby Amanita muscaria (also known as fly amanita or fly agaric). I love finding these little guys, they are on of the few mushrooms I am confident that I can identify correctly. The lichen was another sweet find (that I have yet to identify) since I just finished a sort of introductory course on them. Lots of sweet symbioses and things going on.

I realize the true bio nerd comes out in me whenever I'm on a hike in a forest (or anywhere really). I stop and flip over logs and constantly listen for birds and other creatures; it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment